Life is good: A vitamin-rich salad – ideal for summer barbeques – from Chelsea’s Good Life Eatery cookbook
Words Shirin Kouros & Yasmine Larizadeh
- 200g Puy lentils
- 2–3 sweet potatoes (750g), peeled and cubed
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for roasting
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5–6 handfuls of kale (300g), stalks removed and leaves chopped into small pieces
- ½ pomegranate, kernels removed
- 150g cooked red or black quinoa (optional)
- 60g walnuts, chopped
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
Orange and Tahini Dressing:
- finely grated zest of 1 large orange
- juice of 2 oranges
- 100g tahini
- 75ml olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/ Gas mark 4. Put the lentils in a saucepan and add 600ml water to cover the lentils completely. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 25 minutes, or until tender. Drain in a colander and run under cold water to stop the cooking process, then leave to cool. Set aside.
2 Put the sweet potatoes into a large bowl, add the olive oil, salt and pepper and toss well until the sweet potatoes are coated. Transfer the sweet potatoes to a roasting tin and roast in the hot oven for 15–20 minutes. Leave to cool.
3 To make the dressing, put all the ingredients into a blender and blitz until smooth or whisk by hand. Set aside.
4 Put the chopped kale leaves into a large bowl, add 1 tablespoon olive oil, and using your hands, massage the oil into the kale.
5 Once the sweet potato and lentils have cooled, add them to the kale then add the pomegranate kernels. If using quinoa, add this now.
6 Pour in 150ml of the dressing, or to your liking, and toss until everything is coated in the dressing.Top with the chopped walnuts and nutritional yeast flakes and serve.